Bojo yuca coconut cake
This recipe, Bojo yuca coconut cake is a gluten free spongy cake. Bojo cake comes from the Surinamese soulfood kitchen and is a must have on birthday parties. Not because it is gluten free! This cake has alot of coconut cream flavor and it is spongy! This recipe contains fine grated yuca with grated coconut, coconut cream and milk. For this recipe you don’t need a mixer at all! This recipe comes from my father’s family and back in the days, they had no eletric mixers. You need a large bowl and a wooden spoon or spatula!
Bojo cake ingredients
Before I start collecting my ingredients, I am pre heating my oven on 340 F/ 170C. Before this, I am moving my oven rack to the lowest section. When I am baking Bojo yuca coconut cake, I can see the process of baking thru my door window without opening it! Also I am going to use for this recipe a baking pan ( size 8 inch by 12 inch). I brush the sides and bottom with butter and put parchment paper at the bottom. When this is all ready, then I can measure my ingredients. For this recipe I need: Frozen grated yuca, Fine grated coconut, and sugar from the sugarcane. For more flavor, I need: vanilla, Almond extract, cinnamon and raisins. To make this cake more spongy, for this I am using condensed milk, coconut milk and cream.
Preparing the old fashion way!
For Bojo yuca coconut cake I am using a large bowl and a wooden spoon or spatula. Before I start, my grated yuca is already on room temperature. For this recipe, I am buying 1 kgs bag of grated yuca at the tropical or Asian grocery store. These stores sell products for the Caribbean, South America and Asian kitchen. Grated yuca is one of their products. This saves you doing the hard work. The first part is to combine granulated sugar with both extracts. When this becomes smooth, then I will add the liquid part to the batch.
Bojo is almost ready for the oven !
The last part is to add liquid butter to the batch. This makes Bojo yuca coconut cake more spongy. I am mixing this as well with a large spoon or spatula until my Bojo batter is smooth again. Now I can start with the next part, that is making my baking pan ready for the oven! I am using 25% of my bojo batter to cover the bottom of my baking pan. I am have about 125 grams of soaked raisins ready. You can find this recipe in our recipe index. I am putting these raisins on top of my first part of bojo batter. Then I am using the other 75% of my bojo batter. With that, I can put my Bojo yuca coconut cake in the oven. Baking time is 90 minutes + 10 minutes with the oven door open. After 90 minutes, I am using a tooth pick to double check if my bojo cake is ready! The other 10 minutes is only extra, so my bojo cake can adjust to less oven heat.
When my bojo cake comes out of the oven, I let it rest for about 10 minutes. Then I take 1 tbsp of Non pareils sprinkles and put it on top of my Bojo cake. For this recipe, you can also use rainbow sprinkles. Bojo yuca coconut cake taste best when you make this cake one day in advance. This cake will taste better! When you have a question or comment about this recipe, please leave a comment in the comment box below. You can find my recipe with full instruction below. Enjoy baking Bojo yuca coconut cake.
see link Soaked raisins on alcohol.